Wednesday, March 12, 2008

Thursday 13 March - Meditation


From today’s Gospel reading...

Then the Jews said to him, ‘You are not yet fifty years old, and have you seen Abraham?’* Jesus said to them, ‘Very truly, I tell you, before Abraham was, I am.’ So they picked up stones to throw at him, but Jesus hid himself and went out of the temple.

from John 8

To reflect on...

In Exodus chapter 3, God, in conversation with Moses, uses the term ‘I am’ to describe the God-self. Here Jesus takes the same phrase and applies it to himself. To many Jews this was blasphemy. C. S. Lewis in ‘Mere Christianity’ says that Jesus’ astonishing claims mean that he was either Lord or liar or lunatic. Who is Jesus to me?

Let’s pray...

My God, how great you are. How wonderful your work in becoming incarnate as a man and living among us. My heart is full of love for you and amazement at your grace. Amen.

No comments: