Saturday, December 8, 2007

9th December - Meditation


Zechariah asked the angel, "How can I be sure of this? I am an old man and my wife is well along in years." The angel answered, "I am Gabriel. I stand in the presence of God, and I have been sent to speak to you and to tell you this good news. And now you will be silent and not able to speak until the day this happens, because you did not believe my words, which will come true at their proper time." Luke 1:18-20

Reflection - Forgive your doubts. - Isn't it refreshing to hear Zechariah doubt God? An angel arrives with news of a longed-for son, and he answers, in essence, "Prove it." In dark moments we all have doubted whether God's promises are real. The good news for Zechariah, and for us, is that they are real, and God keeps them even if we doubt.

Prayer - O God, Zechariah looked forward with both terror and rejoicing to the birth of a son so late in life.

I pray for those who have received unexpected news. Announcements bringing joy and fear. For the uncertainty, apprehension and doubts.

We thank you through Zechariah’s doubts you revealed yourself to be God. Give us faith through our doubts to believe that you are God.

Help us stand in your presence that when the world seems apart from you we may know you along side of us. Amen

No comments: