Tuesday, December 2, 2008

Advent retreat



I am in Leicestershire looking at sheep through the snow and sleet which is falling. In the midst of the space has been reflections on Mary's Song, Zechariah's Song and Simeon and Anna's song. Our challenege is to write a poem or reflection on what we feel at Advent. For me this is hard especially with how I feel at the moment , nevertheless here goes...

It's all confused
It's all upside down

"Now let your servant depart in peace" - to what and why?

Simeon - Old, pious and just was drawn
to wait for Israel's consolation
as a watchman awaits the dawn.

Anna, she offered her widow's mite
praying and fasting in adoration
for many a day and many a night

Now I uncertain, frail and alone
Long to remember his favour and grace
As I humbly kneel before his throne.

So God calls me to put my dreams in his hands
releasing the grip that once held them
forever surrendering my plans

And as I lay them down at his feet
I turn not knowing
How, when I may be complete

So as I leave this place
and pray like Anna in hopeful expectation
that I this Advent may see your face.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

This is beautiful Jackie x

Anonymous said...

Wisdom and beauty is always founded in deep pain and searching.
You are in relationship with God and God will never abandon you xx

Anonymous said...

Are you having a bad day or do you mean suffering with Jesus??