Saturday, December 6, 2008

6 December - Healer



Reading
“Then those who were in the boat worshiped him, saying, "Truly you are the Son of God." When they had crossed over, they landed at Gennesaret. And when the men of that place recognized Jesus, they sent word to all the surrounding country. People brought all their sick to him and begged him to let the sick just touch the edge of his cloak, and all who touched him were healed”. Matthew 14:33-36

Reflection

This passage comes at the end of Jesus walking on the sea of Galilee. The disciples who were at first terrified, and somewhat amazed, not least when Peter attempts to walk on water as well, finally exclaim “truly you are the Son Of God” to what they have witnessed. It must be said, that the people recognized Jesus as a great healer, but I wonder how many understood who he truly was? Yes they came to Jesus for physical healing, but did they come for spiritual healing? They came to prolong their lives on earth, but did they come to secure their eternal lives? Just as 2000 years ago, and today, people may well seek Jesus, to learn valuable lessons from his life or in hopes of finding relief from pain. But I believe, that we miss Jesus’ whole message, if we seek him only to heal our bodies, but not our souls, if we look to him for help only in this life, rather than for his eternal plan for us. For it is only when we understand the real Jesus Christ, can we appreciate how he can truly change our lives.

Prayer

Lord give me the faith, to recognise Christ as my Saviour, my Lord and my Friend. May this be the prayer, of my heart, my whole being, not just my lips. Thank you, that you offer healing of body, mind and spirit, through your victory on the cross, and that one day I will wholly praise, in heaven, for all eternity. Amen

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

I don't normally leave messages on these kind of things!! But I want to say how much your Dad and me (I) enjoyed your service this morning. Mumxxx (As you can see I am not afraid of signing my name, nor is Thomas, but I do wonder who the anonymous person/s are who send you lots of comments!

Anonymous said...

It is not about fearing putting names down but confidentiality...and sometimes not even knowing how to put a name in..or just wanting to give a compliment without being seen as the ministers friend....lots of reasons really and I am glad for you that you can own your comments.

Jackie Bellfield said...

Mum and Nephew Thomas thank you

Jackie Bellfield said...

I htought Adam and Ben in pink and blue were particularly fetching