Tuesday, December 9, 2008

8 December - Good Shepherd



Reading

"I am the good shepherd. The good shepherd lays down his life for the sheep. The hired hand is not the shepherd who owns the sheep. So when he sees the wolf coming, he abandons the sheep and runs away. Then the wolf attacks the flock and scatters it. The man runs away because he is a hired hand and cares nothing for the sheep. "I am the good shepherd; I know my sheep and my sheep know me--just as the Father knows me and I know the Father--and I lay down my life for the sheep. I have other sheep that are not of this sheep pen. I must bring them also. They too will listen to my voice, and there shall be one flock and one shepherd. The reason my Father loves me is that I lay down my life--only to take it up again. No one takes it from me, but I lay it down of my own accord. I have authority to lay it down and authority to take it up again. This command I received from my Father."

Reflection

Christ is the Good Shepherd, who continually cares for the sheep, never abandoning the sheep in times of peril; this is the opposite, to the hired hand, who were not only careless in their duty, and so by their neglect the flock were hurt, but who will abandon the sheep, if peril or trial should come. And so, Christ like any Good Shepherd, knows his sheep. Christ our Saviour, knows whom he has chosen, and as his people, we know who we have trusted, and we are therefore sure of Him.
Christ as our Good Shepherd walks with us in trail or peril, or using the imagery of a shepherd lifts us up on his shoulders and carries us. In this passage from John, we recognise the amazing grace of Christ; since none could demand his life of him, he laid it down of himself for our redemption. He offered himself to be the Saviour.

Prayer
Lord may I hear your voice this day, calling my name. May I have the confidence to know, that whatever I am going through, you are with me. Thank you, that you love me so much, that you laid down your life in love for me, that I may know grace and love, forgiveness and peace, life to its fullest in you. Amen

No comments: