Friday, December 12, 2008

12 December - The Vine


Reading

"I am the true vine, and my Father is the gardener. He cuts off every branch in me that bears no fruit, while every branch that does bear fruit he prunes so that it will be even more fruitful. You are already clean because of the word I have spoken to you. Remain in me, and I will remain in you. No branch can bear fruit by itself; it must remain in the vine. Neither can you bear fruit unless you remain in me.
"I am the vine; you are the branches. If a man remains in me and I in him, he will bear much fruit; apart from me you can do nothing. If anyone does not remain in me, he is like a branch that is thrown away and withers; such branches are picked up, thrown into the fire and burned. If you remain in me and my words remain in you, ask whatever you wish, and it will be given you. This is to my Father's glory, that you bear much fruit, showing yourselves to be my disciples” John 15:1-8

Reflection

Jesus wanted His followers to have a clear picture about their relationship with Him after His resurrection. So He chooses the vine, abundantly grown throughout Israel, as His object lesson. I pray that as we think of the earthly vine, we will discover the heavenly truth about our place in the Kingdom. But more, I pray that we will not just learn about our relationship with Christ, but will experience a deeper more trusting relationship with our Lord. Keep in mind that when Jesus said, “I am the true vine” to the disciples they would have had Old Testament Scriptures in mind. They would have known about the imagery. With the coming of Jesus the image now changes a bit. One thing remains the same; God still looks for fruit from his vine.

Prayer

Dear Lord:
Thank you that by faith you live in me and enable me to more and more like Your Son. Teach me today how I can bear fruit for you. Amen

No comments: