Tuesday, December 2, 2008

2 December - King of Kings



Reading

Jesus replied, “Mine is not a kingdom of this world; if my kingdom were of this world, my men would have fought to prevent me being surrendered to the Jews. As it is, my kingdom does not belong here.” Pilate said, “ So, then you are a king?” Jesus answered, “It is you who say that I am a king. I was born for this, I came into the world for this, to bear witness to the truth; and all who are on the side of truth listen to my voice.” (JB) John 18:36-37

Reflection

Matthew’s Gospel begins with Iranian Magi from the Persian Empire (where the title king of kings was first used) seeking the infant king of the Jews (ch.2.2)- A king great enough to affect stars in their courses and bring the earths wisest to their knees. By the end of the Gospel Jesus reveals, “All authority in heaven and on earth has been given to me.”
But just in case, like Pilate, we become obsessed by power and glory, Jesus earths us in the need always to seek truth.

Prayer

They all were looking for a king
To slay their foes
and lift them high
Thou cam’st a little Baby thing
That made a woman cry.’
George MacDonald (1824-1905)

Lord Jesus,
King of kings and Lord of lords
the only ruler of princes
Help me not to seek to possess truth
but to strive towards its goal

No comments: