Tuesday, December 2, 2008

1st Sunday in Advent - I am



Reading

“Then Moses said to God, “If I come to the people of Israel and say to them, ‘The God of your fathers has sent me to you,’ and they ask me, ‘What is his name?’ what shall I say to them?”
God said to Moses, “I AM WHO I AM.” And he said, “Say this to the people of Israel, ‘I AM has sent me to you.’” (RSV) Exodus 3:13-14

Reflection

Our roots lie deep in the journey of faith. Moses, rooted in Abraham’s response, finds himself in the presence.

Knowing a name brings with it a sense of power and so Moses is keen to know the name he should use. But this reply takes him to depths and heights far beyond any time trapped deity of his owning.

Tell them “I AM WHO I AM” or “I WILL BE WHO I WILL BE” has sent you.

Prayer

Lord of Life
Beyond our conceiving
You reveal yourself
As only you can
Bring me again to hear you saying
Here I am in the birth of a babe
Here I will be
In the unfathomable abyss of Love.

No comments: