Monday, December 22, 2008

22 December - Everlasting Father



Reading

Philip said, "Lord, show us the Father and that will be enough for us." Jesus answered: "Don't you know me, Philip, even after I have been among you such a long time? Anyone who has seen me has seen the Father. How can you say, 'Show us the Father'? Don't you believe that I am in the Father, and that the Father is in me? The words I say to you are not just my own. Rather, it is the Father, living in me, who is doing his work.

Reflection

How complex is the person of the Lord Jesus, in just a few breaths he is called Wonderful Counselor, Almighty God and now Everlasting Father.

Jesus is our Everlasting Father in the sense that He is the one who brings us to spiritual life. In John 14:6 Jesus told us that "no man comes to the Father, except through Him". We are new creatures in and because of Christ. It is because of Jesus that we have the opportunity to know eternal life. It is because of Jesus that we can know a new and life-giving relationship with the Father. Also, both aspects of His name give us great hope for our personal lives. The name "Father" is a familial term. And the name "Everlasting" describes how great He is. He's without beginning and without end. He was, is, and always will be. He's the One who revealed Himself to Moses when he asked God about His name. The answer was, "I am that I am." God revealed Himself to Moses as "I am." Yesterday, He was "I am," and today He's still "I am." And tomorrow He will still be "I am."

Prayer

Lord, be like treasure to me this Christmas.
Let me be willing to listen when I'm told of your glory.
Take away my fear and bring me peace.
Whatever else I may receive let me be glad to accept you into my life and to share you with those around me.
Amen.

No comments: