Sunday, December 4, 2011

Someone Great is Coming - 2 December


Reflection

Are you anticipating guests and the fellowship of friends during this holiday? Many of us are, but did not John the Baptist prophesy someone greater is coming? Many thought John the Baptist was someone he was not (the Messiah); likewise many think Santa Claus is someone he is not (the reason for Christmas).

When Pope Julius I authorized December 25 to be celebrated as the birthday of Jesus in A.D. 353, who would have ever thought that it would become what it is today. When Professor Charles Follen lit candles on the first Christmas tree in America in 1832, who would have ever thought that the light in our hearts would replaced by the lights on our houses. It is a long time since A.D. 353 or even 1832. How long has it been since the greatness of it took centre stage during your Christmas festivities? As we approach December 25 again, we have another opportunity to pause, and in the midst of all our celebration and excitement and the unfortunate commercialization which surround Christmas today, we need to consider that someone greater – Jesus Christ. Make Christ the centre of your Christmas.

Prayer

Holy God, I acknowledge my great need of you. When I think of the void my life would be without you it brings a sense of fear and trembling to my heart. But in that fear and trembling remind me that you are never far from me, even when I chosen different paths. Thank you for how much you love me. I thank you for your grace that called to me even before I recognised your voice. I am yours. Amen

Reading

Isaiah 42:1-9; Acts 10:34-46, Philippians 2:1-11

Hymn/Song
Sing we the King who is coming to reign

No comments: