Monday, December 5, 2011

Let it be to me - 5 December


Reflection

When reading Mary’s response to Gods invitation the words that jump out are “Behold, I am the servant of the Lord; let it be to me according to your word” (Luke 1:38). Did she know what she was agreeing to? Did she know the scorn and ridicule she would suffer as an unwed mother? Did she know that people would hold that against her son as he grew up (John 8:41)? Did she know the pain she would experience when her son died a young man, an innocent man dying a criminal’s death?

I have no idea what she knew or thought at the time. She didn’t know either. However, as her spiritual father Abraham followed God wherever He led even if he didn’t know where it was going to be, she was willing to pursue whatever God had in store for her. Do we need to have this attitude as we read God’s word? “Behold, I am the servant of the Lord; let it be to me according to your word.” May we have the faith and trust that God’s way works. Whatever God has in store for us will be all right in the end, even if it leads through hard and difficult times.

Prayer

Thank you, Lord, for knowing me better than I know myself,
and for letting me know myself better than others know me. Help me to grow in grace, faith and discipleship.
Holy God I consider the things of my life that I keep hidden from others. Show me how I may lay down the obstacles of life that prevent me from drawing closer to you. Teach me your ways God. Amen

Readings
Jeremiah 33:14-16, Luke 1: 26-38, 2 Peter 3:8-15

Hymn/Song
Behold the Servant of the Lord

No comments: