Saturday, December 17, 2011

A Promise Fulfilled - 15 December


Reflection

Have you ever made a promise that you could not keep? It is probably safe to say that we all have done that at least once in our life. We start out with good intentions for fulfilling the promise. But then, out of the blue, things can happen, like the boss asks us to work overtime, the car breaks down, someone gets sick, or the weather turns bad, and well, we just can't live up to our word. When this has happened to me, I feel really sad and sorry that I could not keep my word. And I also worry that people will not trust or believe me the next time I promise something to them.

How grateful I am that God always keeps the promises that he makes. Throughout all of Scripture, every time God promised something it was fulfilled. Nothing ever hinders or interferes with the will of God. The greatest promise God ever made was that he would send his Son to bring salvation to the world. Through the life, death and resurrection of Jesus Christ we were forgiven our sins and brought into a right relationship with God. Thanks be to God for promises made and kept!

Prayers
Almighty God,
I give you thanks for the fulfilled promise of your Son, Jesus Christ, our Lord and Saviour. Help me to always trust in your Word and promises. Amen.

Readings
Numbers 24:17, Habakkuk 3:17-19, Matthew 5:17-19, 2 Peter 3:9

Hymn/Song
Cradled in a Manger Meanly

No comments: