Wednesday, December 15, 2010

Wednesday 15 December - Change?


Change?

Readings - Isaiah 54:1-10, Psalm 30 and 1 John 4:7-8

“My unfailing love for you will not be shaken” Isaiah 54:10

Reflection

What a tender passage we find in Isaiah, God has allowed the Babylonians to conquer the Israelites and take them captive. Yet now we see the king of Babylon allowing them to return to him no longer will “Israel” be barren, but fruitful. She has learned through suffering. God reveals “a change of heart” that after “a brief abandoning” God will take them back.

The question of God changing is perhaps a constant mystery. Does God change? God’s love, tender and mercy never does. God does not abandon - God never says “I give up”. Instead tenderness, mercy and love are ours. Signs of which we see constantly in each other, even those who we struggle will. God’s love is constant.

John Henry Newman suggests “to live is to change and to be perfect is to have changed often.” If this perfection is a humble, gentle, patient love of God and our neighbour, if it is ruling our tempers, actions and words (as perhaps is
indicated by John Wesley’s teaching on Christian perfection) then maybe we do need to change.

As we journey towards the stable do you need a genuine reconciliation with God and others? As you consider this may you also rejoice in God’s mercy whose love is
everlasting.

Prayer

God in whom I live and move and have my being, come teach me that you have made me your own.
You are not far from me, show yourself to me again this day.
That as you reveal yourself to me in Love I may reveal that Love to others. Amen

Additional Prayer Ideas
We pray for all who have shown us Christ and revealed your truth. We remember our church community that we may be inspired in new and bold ways to show your love.

We pray for a fresh vision as we look ahead to changing times in the life of the church.

No comments: