Wednesday, December 8, 2010

Sunday 12 December - I See Him


I See Him

Readings - Numbers 24:2-7, 15-17, Psalm 123 and Matthew 21: 23-27

“I see him , but not now.” Numbers 24:17

Reflection

The Israelites have moved into the promised land, and are occupying more of it. The neighbours, the Moabites led by their King Balak, are becoming increasingly alarmed that these newcomers are pushing them out. Summoning the prophet Balaam they order him to curse the Israelites. God intervenes and speaks to Balaam saying he has blessed them and he must not curse them. King Balak then seeks to influence Balaam by offering him gifts to curse the Israelites and his response is to use the words of God and then to add his own. “The Lord is near and a star advances” suggests Balaam.

What a gentle reminder mid way through our Advent journey, that Christ’s coming draws near. Balaam, a pagan had some knowledge of God and spoke what God wished him to speak.

May our words speak God’s truth , may our eyes see God working and may we respond by following God in holiness and obedience.

Prayer

Faithful God,
Prophets called your people to make a road through the desert, fit for a king.
They were called to prepare a way for your coming God I want to travel towards Bethlehem not out of tradition or expectation but with a desire for a fresh experience of your love.
Help me to travel with a willing heart.
Help me to lay down all that would hinder me from drawing closer to you this Christmas.
Help me to clear the way so that my life journey may lead me closer to you.
Help me to see you in a variety of places and may I never limit you. Amen

Additional Prayer Ideas

We pray for teachers, local preachers, worship leaders, support workers and ministers that this season all may resound “let it be to me according to your will”

No comments: