Monday, December 13, 2010

Tuesday 14 December - The List


The List

Readings - Psalm 96, Matthew 2 and Ephesians 3: 1-13

“The giver not the gift”

Reflection

Have you made a list and posted it to Greenland? Are you frequently asked “what would you like?” when all along you have what you need. I wonder what you feel about the list below.

"Christmas gift suggestions: To your enemy, forgiveness. To an opponent, tolerance. To a friend, your heart. To a customer, service. To all, charity. To every child, a good example. To yourself, respect." - Oren Arnold

The gift I can give to another need not be costly in world terms. A moment of my time to show I care, the long overdue phone call or letter as a reminder that the other is in our hearts. Within these gifts we find the essence of joy because of the spirit in the which the gifts are given And what of the gifts we receive? The ones we are uncomfortable with—the ones that don’t quite fit. I am sure some go to EBay or even dare I suggest the next church fayre. What of the ones which reach out in reconciliation and friendship? Are we as quick to dismiss them as we do the unwanted box of hankies.

Are we generous with the gifts that have been given to us, seeing ourselves as stewards and not owners? Are we reverent of others, their ideas and needs, and of creation? These and other questions can be light in our Advent by which we may search the deep, dark corners of our hearts.

Prayer
Lord, forgive me when I doubt your voice,
forgive my unreadiness to receive you,
make me attentive to your word and help me prepare your way. Your way in my heart and your way in the lives of others. Amen

Additional Prayer Ideas
We pray for all young people and children, our local schools and those involved in youth and children activities in our local churches.

No comments: