Friday, December 17, 2010

Sunday 19 December - Prayer - 4th Sunday in Advent


Prayer

Readings - Judges 13:2-7, 24-25 Psalm 71 and Luke 1 5-25

“Your prayer has been heard” Luke 1:13


Reflection
What an answer to prayer it was for Zechariah and Elizabeth. Childlessness was regarded as a disgrace in the Jewish culture at that time so their “fruitfulness” was focused on their spiritual lives by praying for and serving others with love.
Zechariah and Elizabeth waited and they waited. The waiting room is the place where time stands still. In the doctors, the dentist, the hospital waiting room it seems as though hours have passed then we view the clock and it is only ten minutes. When in a waiting room the world seems to come to halt– time slows almost to a stand still!

When the Bible extols us to “Wait upon the Lord”, we find if painfully difficult We live in a world where waiting is a rare phenomena. Waiting in line, people cut in. Waiting on the phone with the same tedious tune being played causes our blood pressure to rise as well as our phone bills. Why wait when we can have it now? Credit, fast food….we want it now but sometimes we just can’t have it now. Waiting is hard. The news for a test result, for health to improve, waiting for Mr or Mrs Right, the weight to drop off or go up.

When struggling with waiting may I encourage you to look at the life of Elizabeth and Zechariah, who encourage us to look to God and to remember that those who wait will mount up with wings like eagles. Dear friend, in your waiting may you know the God of hope.

The word gospel actually means “good news”. How fitting that is as we remember our responses to the cry “this is the gospel of Christ” and we respond “Glory to Christ our Saviour”

Prayer

I wait and look for you in my life.
I wait longing for the news I desperately want to hear.
I wait in desperation.
Help me to remember that “your grace is sufficient for me” that all I cling to I can lay at your feet. So I lay it down, my tears, my fears .. my all. Amen

Additional Prayer Ideas

We remember all who wait.

For all whose waiting will bring joy.

For those whose waiting will bring sorrow.

We pray that all will know God’s patience and love.

No comments: