Wednesday, December 8, 2010

Thursday 9 December - Do not be afraid


Do not be afraid

Readings - Isaiah 41:13-20, Psalm 145:1, 9-13 Matthew 11:11-15

"So do not fear, for I am with you” Isaiah 41: 10

Reflection
Are you afraid of anything? Some of the more uncommon phobias are Pagophobia (fear of ice or frost), Papaphobia (fear of the Pope), Rhytiphobia (fear of getting wrinkles) and Syngenesophobia (fear of relatives) - maybe a common one! Perhaps we don’t identify with these particular type of phobias but we have our own.

Fear is a common human emotion - we have all experienced it. I still smile when I hear the readings of the angels’ greeting in those circumstances “don’t be afraid”. It is probably one of the first emotions we would possibly feel. A blaze of light in front of us, such noise that we have never heard of before - I’d be afraid. Then I may well remember what Mary was asked to do and I would be even more afraid.

But just as God gave Mary the strength and endurance for her task, so God will give to us the resources we need when we follow God’s way.

Prayers

Lord of all, you are a God who provides for me in my need.
As I travel through Advent help me to believe that you know what I need.
Give me the courage to listen to your voice and the freedom
to open my heart to the graces you are offering.
For the moments of fear in my life, enable me to trust in your goodness.
When I feel I can endure no longer the stresses of this world help me to look to you.
O God you are the author and perfecter of my faith.
May I remain and abide in you forever
Amen

Additional Prayer Ideas

We pray for those who suffer for their faith that they may know God’s
strength through the encouragement of the gospel.

1 comment:

Rachel's Reflections said...

Amen! and i love that there is a papaphobia! lol!