Wednesday, December 18, 2013

Wednesday 18 December - “I will satisfy the weary, and all who are faint I will replenish”



Readings 

Psalm 139, Jeremiah 31:18-26, Luke 15 and Philemon 1


For you created my inmost being; you knit me together in my mother’s womb. I praise you because I am fearfully and wonderfully made;  your works are wonderful, I know that full well.
My frame was not hidden from you when I was made in the secret place, when I was woven together in the depths of the earth. Your eyes saw my unformed body;  all the days ordained for me were written in your book before one of them came to be.
How precious to me are your thoughts, God! How vast is the sum of them!  Were I to count them, they would outnumber the grains of sand – when I awake, I am still with you. Psalm 139:7-12
 Reflection

The lost parables in Luke 15  are familiar stories to us and can provide us with a helpful insight to these verses in Jeremiah. Jeremiah 31:18-20 tells of Ephraim (as a son) - the Northern kingdom of Israel which turns away from God and Gods ways. Eventually they acknowledge shame, repent and plead to return to God. Can you see the connection to the story of the prodigal? —the one who wanders off only to find that he needs to come home.

V21-22 addresses the same theme through an unfaithful daughter. She absconds from her betrothed prior to her marriage yet finds her way back unaccompanied. In other words of her own free choice . Gods people come to their senses and return to Palestine– back home.



What of you? What of others we long for who are lost? Finding their way back home to God as sons and daughters. We have turned away, absconded, “come home”…. that you dear friend, the lost, may be found and ‘rest in God, only he can save’ (Psalm 62:1).   There is no need to follow a star just follow the Son.


Prayer
I lift my heart up to you, Lord, to thank you for the blessings you shower on me each day. For those who are lost can be found and I pray for those I know who wander from you.  You are the 'joy of my soul.'  I know that in your great love, I am held and protected by you. I pray and listen to the good news you send; I ask and feel the healing. I rejoice, I rejoice, down to my soul. Help me to prepare my heart to be open and able to receive your immense love. Amen

No comments: