Monday, December 16, 2013

Monday 16 December - Do you Love Me?



Readings
Psalm 63, John 21:15-19,1 Corinthians 13 and 1 John 4:7-9



When they had finished eating, Jesus said to Simon Peter, ‘Simon son of John, do you love me more than these?’ ‘Yes, Lord,’ he said, ‘you know that I love you.’ Jesus said, ‘Feed my lambs.’  Again Jesus said, ‘Simon son of John, do you love me?’ He answered, ‘Yes, Lord, you know that I love you.’ Jesus said, ‘Take care of my sheep.’  The third time he said to him, ‘Simon son of John, do you love me?’ Peter was hurt because Jesus asked him the third time, ‘Do you love me?’ He said, ‘Lord, you know all things; you know that I love you.’ Jesus said, ‘Feed my sheep. 18 Very truly I tell you, when you were younger you dressed yourself and went where you wanted; but when you are old you will stretch out your hands, and someone else will dress you and lead you where you do not want to go.’  Jesus said this to indicate the kind of death by which Peter would glorify God. Then he said to him, ‘Follow me!’
Reflection

It is possible for the statement “God is Love” to be reversed to “Love is God” and for it still to be true. There is a very old hymn “Ubi caritas et amor, Deus ibi est’ which means “where charity and love  are. God is there.” If love is around, then God is around.   You may remember a few years ago a group of atheists got together to pay for advertisements to go on the side of a couple of hundred London buses which proclaimed “There’s probably no God, now stop worrying and enjoy your life”, it made me smile as adding the word probably gives them at least an option to change their minds. For myself, if love doesn’t exist that is when I would start worrying. 

Love and kindness were evident before Jesus was born—we see that in Mary and Joseph, Elizabeth and Zechariah and in many others too. The great good that the birth, life, death and resurrection of Jesus Christ  would bring is the certain knowledge that God is love, and God is unconditional forgiveness and that this is for all expressed in complete and expressive humility. Jesus the expression and
fulfilment of God’s love. Unconditional,  unlimited,  unending, unmerited and unfailing love given for you.

Prayer
Lord give me the faith, to recognise Christ as my Saviour, my Lord and my Friend.
May this be the prayer of my heart, my whole being, not just my lips.

Thank you, that you offer healing of body, mind and spirit, through your victory on the cross, and that one day I will wholly praise, in heaven, for all eternity. Amen

No comments: