Tuesday, December 17, 2013

Tuesday 17 December - Imitating Christ



Readings

Psalm 145, Isaiah 47, Luke 5: 1-11 and 1 Thessalonians 2:13-end


Master, we’ve worked hard all night and haven’t caught anything. But because you say so, I will let down the nets.’ When they had done so, they caught such a large number of fish that their nets began to break. So they signalled to their partners in the other boat to come and help them, and they came and filled both boats so full that they began to sink.  When Simon Peter saw this, he fell at Jesus’ knees and said, ‘Go away from me, Lord; I am a sinful man!’ For he and all his companions were astonished at the catch of fish they had taken,  and so were James and John, the sons of Zebedee, Simon’s partners. Then Jesus said to Simon, ‘Don’t be afraid; from now on you will fish for people.’  So they pulled their boats up on shore, left everything and followed him.
Luke 5:1-11
Reflection


There is a Chinese proverb which runs “tell me and I’ll forget; show me and I may remember, involve me and I’ll understand.”

It is rightly said that Christianity is shown not only taught. Who teaches grace without the action to prove it? St. Paul speaks of Christian discipleship as imitation. We imitate that which we find attractive and in doing so replicate it. Those in Thessalonica, to whom Paul writes, have shared in the suffering of Christ and have missed Paul’s presence which in return has grieved him.

There is great warmth in the letter that Paul writes yet there is also a note of divine judgment. Paul sees a life untransformed by the love of God as ultimately self-destructive. Advent invites us to take stock of our spiritual priorities  (perhaps a spiritual MOT is called for?) to allow ourselves again to be attracted to the person of Jesus that we may grow in patience, generosity and compassion towards others and then follow, leaving self behind, and  imitate Christ.

Prayer

Oh, God-With-Us, For so long you have promised  forgiveness, peace, salvation.
Now in my heart, I am filled with joy because of your coming.
Thank you for your promises and for the way I can trust in you. I feel a new freedom in my life and a courage I have not known before. My I echo your very character in my life to show your love in beautiful life giving ways. Amen

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

As someone who has seen new song develop and now is involved I want to say a huge thank you to the whole team.

Making a difference for the sake of the Kingdom is what we are all about - loving others as God loves us. Drinks ministry, toilets, Kiver (is that right?),community team. Thank you God for New Song and for Jackie and the vision and fun.