Wednesday, December 11, 2013

Wednesday 11 December - The Son of Man is going to Suffer



Readings 

Psalm 121,  Isaiah 52:1-15, Matthew 17:9-12 and 1 Corinthians 15:1-10
As they were coming down the mountain, Jesus instructed them, ‘Don’t tell anyone what you have seen, until the Son of Man has been raised from the dead.’ The disciples asked him, ‘Why then do the teachers of the law say that Elijah must come first?’ Jesus replied, ‘To be sure, Elijah comes and will restore all things.  But I tell you, Elijah has already come, and they did not recognise him, but have done to him everything they wished. In the same way the Son of Man is going to suffer at their hands.’  Then the disciples understood that he was talking to them about John the Baptist.Matthew 17:9-12


Reflection

One birth changed history
, One birth changed our destiny, Thou shall call him Jesus.

Why is it so hard for us to recognise God and His works even when we are right in their midst?

This question for the ages surely must have crossed the mind of Jesus many times during His earthly ministry. In today’s Gospel He states, “To be sure, Elijah comes and will restore all things. But I tell you, Elijah has already, and they did not recognise him.”
How history repeats itself. And yet He found Himself face to face with unbelief and cynicism while teaching in the synagogue in His home town: “‘Isn’t this the carpenter’s son? Isn’t His mother’s name Mary, and aren’t His brothers James, Joseph, Simon and Judas...?’ And they took offense at Him” (Matthew 13:55-57). Anna and Simeon had a prediction many years earlier that some would receive him and others would turn away.  What will you do? Will your heart receive him more this year? Will you open your life more this year? Will that hidden part be open? Or remain closed? Will this be the moment? This be the time that Christ has longed for? This is the carpenter’s son—this is the Lord. This is Jesus. This is God.  

Prayer



Holy God,
This year may I open more to the prompting of your Spirit  to shine in the dark places of my heart that I keep hidden from the ones I love most.
 
Those secret places that you know about. The yearnings and longings I have that I can only dream about.  I open my heart to you—be gentle I pray for my heart and the hearts of others are fragile. Amen


No comments: