Monday, December 23, 2013

Monday 23rd December - “My Spirit rejoices in God my Saviour”




Readings:

Psalm 96, Isaiah 9:6-7, Luke 1:46-55 and Colossians 1:15-20

'My soul glorifies the Lord and my spirit rejoices in God my Saviour, for he has been mindful of the humble state of his servant. From now on all generations will call me blessed, for the Mighty One has done great things for me – holy is his name. His mercy extends to those who fear him, from generation to generation. He has performed mighty deeds with his arm; he has scattered those who are proud in their inmost thoughts. He has brought down rulers from their thrones but has lifted up the humble. He has filled the hungry with good things but has sent the rich away empty.” He has helped his servant Israel,  remembering to be merciful  to Abraham and his descendants for ever, just as he promised our ancestors.’
Luke 1:46-55

 Reflection
 
No gentle lullaby of an expectant mother, this revolutionary anthem that shouts for God’s reign speaks of justice and mercy. This song expresses her joyful response to God’s visitation and the mighty promise to what he is doing in and through her.
The overriding theme in Mary's song is that God remembers the humble and scatters the proud. It seems strange perhaps to our minds that on the occasion of the forthcoming incarnation of God into the world, Mary's song does not focus more broadly on the salvation in Christ that was to come for all people, and rather instead focuses on the injustices that God would right through this incredible event. In recognising this though, we acknowledge our own limited understanding of what God was doing in Christ. His coming was no event simply to be received in private, spiritual devotion - but one which would shake the 'powers that be' - and establish once and for all that God remembers the humble.

Jesus, learned this lullaby well and he travelled from his birth place to preach thecoming reign of God.  Now it is handed to us that we would carry the tune into our communities and into the world, joining in with the chorus of others who have gone before and who will follow in singing for God’s reign of justice and mercy.

Prayer 

Lord Jesus light of the world
Born in David’s city of Bethlehem
Born in a stable that we may have a mansion
Born like David to be a King that we may be heirs
Be born in our hearts
Be King of our lives today.
Amen



 



1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Thank you for this reminder. When I consider Mary in my mind I construct an older person and forget a twelve year old and my own cultural barrier is horrified. Then I am astounded by this beatiful yet as you say "revolutionary" response and I am humbled. Thank you yet again Jackie. I am challenged on how I can respond.
Liz