Saturday, February 9, 2008

Friday 8 February - Meditation


From today's Gospel reading....
Then the disciples of John came to him, saying, ‘Why do we and the Pharisees fast often,* but your disciples do not fast?’ And Jesus said to them, ‘The wedding-guests cannot mourn as long as the bridegroom is with them, can they? The days will come when the bridegroom is taken away from them, and then they will fast.

from Matthew 9

To reflect on....
Is this a time for learning what true fasting means? Fasting means abstaining from food or drink, to focus on spiritual growth. Fasting and praying were often linked together – Acts 13:3 and Acts 14:23- and often associated with making decisions. True fasting is an enabler for focussing on God instead of the things of the world. Are we giving time to God this Lent?

Let's pray....
My God, may I always be aware of you in my everyday life. Teach me how to have a closer walk with you and help me this Lent to draw near to you, listen to your word to me and act upon it. Amen.

No comments: