Monday, December 17, 2012

Advent 17th December



"But as for you, Bethlehem Ephrathah, Too little to be among the clans of Judah, From you One will go forth for Me to be ruler in Israel. His goings forth are from long ago, From the days of eternity." Therefore He will give them up until the time When she who is in labour has borne a child Then the remainder of His brethren

Will return to the sons of Israel. And He will arise and shepherd His flock In the strength of the Lord, In the majesty of the name of the Lord His God."  Micah 5:2-4

Readings


Isaiah 53:5
Micah 5:2-4,
John 1:10-11


Reflection


Have you ever watched Zeffirelli's film ‘Jesus of Nazareth’. One of the scenes shows the

magi, Balthasar, Caspar and Melchior waiting for Mary, Joseph and Jesus in the cave to present their gifts to Him. After travelling some distance to see with their own eyes the fulfilment of Micah 5:2-5, the prophecy they knew so well, Balthasar, overwhelmed by the Babe’s presence, says, "I did not know what I was going to find when I came… and coming here to a stable… at first, I thought my brothers were mistaken, but now I see the justice of it… there could be no other place." His fellow king Caspar nods, "Not in glory but in humility."  Bethlehem, little Bethlehem —certainly off the radar for the average person in those days and certainly, from man's perspective, not the hometown of a king.  No surprise to God. Firstly God ordains his Son to leave the heavenly realms to come to earth as a helpless babe. He selects Mary, a poor teen, to birth and mother this child, and Joseph, a poor carpenter, to be the father. God chooses, God ordains, God equips, God sustains. Back in the stable, caught up in the awe of the moment, Balthasar presents his gift of incense fit for a worldly king and appropriately says, "Accept these poor tokens of our homage." For there before his eyes, was the greatest gift!


Prayers 

Lord give me the faith, to recognise Christ as my
Saviour, my Lord and my Friend.
May this be the prayer, of my heart, my whole being, not just my lips. 
Thank you, that you offer healing of body, mind and spirit, through your victory on the cross, and that one day I will wholly praise, in heaven, for all
eternity.
Amen

No comments: