Thursday, January 5, 2012

Forgetting God




O Lord, you know how busy I must be this day. If I forget you, do not forget me.
(Sir Jacob Astley, before the Battle of Edgehill, 1642)

Jacob Astley was a sergeant major with the Royalists who fought against the Parliamentarians in the Battle in 1642. A nobleman he came from an established Norfolk family and his first experience of war was age 18.

His characteristic battle-prayer at the Battle of Edgehill has become famous:

"O Lord, Thou knowest how busy I must be this day. If I forget Thee, do not forget me." which he followed promptly with the order "March on, boys!"

I guess at the start of a new year we are not heading into a battle which demands the strategic and military might of Jacob Astley but we do engage in a different type of struggle. Our struggle centers around ourselves, our relationships, battles with the past and fear for the present and future. In all of this I think the prayer of Jacob Astley is therefore entirely appropriate.

Let us never lose sight of the one who sustains, guides, comforts, challenges, heals, delivers and loves. Happy New Year.

No comments: