Wednesday, December 16, 2009

Advent Meditation - Wednesday 16 December


What can I give him, poor as I am?
If I were a shepherd, I would bring a lamb;
if I were a Wise Man, I would do my part;
yet what I can I give him: give my heart.
(In the Bleak mid winter)

Readings
Psalm 40
Luke 2:7
Ephesians 5:1-2

Reflection
According to the Scripture, God no longer wants physical offerings. He wants to build his kingdom using the intangible gifts he has given his children. Filling up
Christmas stockings never got anyone into heaven. It is God's will for us to give the gift of love this season. He has commanded us to further his kingdom and he made this possible through his Son.

During the Christmas season, we work hard to please everyone, sacrificing a lot of time and money for the sake of holiday cheer. But does God require us to be so sacrificial that it takes away from the building of his kingdom? As children many of us were taught the true meaning of Christmas. We were told how God loved us so much that he sent his only son into the world in human form to be the ultimate sacrifice for humankind. As we grow older we may tend to forget this and modify our definition of sacrifice. Instead of sacrificing time doing things that will further the kingdom of God, we can become overly busy trying to fulfil the material needs of those around us. Is God pleased by this? Definitely not. Our relationship with God is not based on how much money we sacrifice for others. God did not save us because of anything great that we have done. God’s gift is free, priceless and everlasting.

Prayer
In humility and in my humanness
I simply offer myself to you. Amen

Further Prayers
We pray for those struggling with finance this Christmas and those unemployed.

No comments: