Wednesday, December 3, 2014

Wednesday 3 December #Obedience



Jesus summoned his disciples and said,  “My heart is moved with pity for the crowd,  for they have been with me now for three days and have nothing to eat.  I do not want to send them away hungry,  for fear they may collapse on the way.”  The disciples said to him, “Where could we ever get enough bread in this deserted place to satisfy such a crowd?” 
Jesus said to them, “How many loaves do you have?”
“Seven,” they replied, “and a few fish.”  He ordered the crowd to sit down on the ground.  Then he took the seven loaves and the fish, gave thanks, broke the loaves, and gave them to the disciples, who in turn gave them to the crowds.  They all ate and were satisfied.
They picked up the fragments left over–seven baskets full.
Matthew 15:29-37

Readings: Psalm 23, Isaiah 25:6-10,Matthew 15:29-37




Reflection:


What can you do with leftovers, fragments, remains? Bin them, compost them, reuse them or give them away?
After the crowds came to Jesus, he called his disciples together and he began to speak to them. He said, "my heart is moved with pity.”  In today's parable, we see people who complained and we see people who saw the potential in a situation to make a difference and our society is still full of those kind of people today. Jesus feeds many people with very few fish, and still at the end of the day, the disciples gathered seven full baskets of left overs. Today, as we prepare for a future in our communities we sometimes feel we have so little to offer, but what we have can do so much for those on the margins of society. As we have been asked so often, what is holding our hearts back from being "moved with pity" and why is this so, and what are we going to do about it! " The Time is now! The place is here! We are the people!"
As we prepare for the birth of Jesus, let us have our hearts moved with pity, just as Jesus did. Let us be the people who see the potential and act upon it for moved with pity God stepped in and moved with pity Jesus stepped in. Moved with pity will you step in?


Alleluia, alleluia.
Behold, the Lord comes to save his people; blessed are those prepared to meet him.
 
Alleluia, alleluia.

Prayer


Help me, Loving God, to stand bravely before this changing world and to see the shoots of life in everyday.
Help me to grow my roots deeply into your love.
In my despair may I find your hope.
In my darkness may I see your light.
In my loneliness may I know your presence.

Amen

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I really like this one Jackie - we are a generation that generates such waste. We apply that to our licves so much but God wastes nothing when we offer ourselves to him.

Jean - Oldham