Sunday, November 28, 2010

Monday 29 November - Hands to Reach Out


Hands to Reach out

"Swords into Ploughshares” Isaiah 2:4

Readings - Isaiah 2:1-5, Psalm 122 and Matthew 8:5-11

Reflection

In 1965 Pope Paul VI visited the United States of America for the first time and spoke at the United Nations. Making an impassioned appeal for peace he asked for an end to warfare. Before the gathered assembly and with the world listening he pleaded “let the weapons fall from our hands...you cannot love with weapons in you hands.”

Isaiah dreams of those who will “beat their swords into ploughshares and spears into pruning hooks.” Rather than war they will be called to cultivate land to provide for others. What a challenge for us today. Rightly so, we are called to challenge injustice and liberate the oppressed- we are called to fulfil the request to ensure liberty for all.

How can we offer the hand of friendship when our hands and lives are full with all that can divide? We may not carry spears and swords but the hands that should reach out to heal all to often become fists of anger and resentment. The hands that could reach out in concern are full of the pressures of our lives—this Advent what can we lay down so that we may reach out.

Prayer
Redeeming God,
May I surrender myself to you this day.
As I offer my plans, my dreams and ambitions, my anxieties and my fears may I be fully open to the prompting of your Spirit.
Help me, O God, to embrace this Advent and to use it as a time to expand and transform my life.
Help me, O God, to look for ways of cultivating my relationship with you and with others. Give me opportunities to show your grace and your mercy.
In your name I pray.
Amen

Additional Prayer Ideas
We pray for all who are caught up in the
conflicts of this world. For those too scarred and scared to leave their homes. For those serving in armed forces and aid organisations. May they know Gods peace.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Wise words Jackie. Our hands are so full of life demands, expectations and fustrations - at least mine are.

Thanks for the advent reminder to lay it all down.

Fiona